Three ways our family is embracing the new Canada Food Guide thanks to Maple Lodge Farms
It was the end of January when the internet social media feeds and online conversations were buzzing about the new Canada Food Guide. Canadians from across the country reacted to the changes in portion sizes, the elimination of certain foods and of course, the simplicity of the guide. While many thought these changes were for the better, Josie and I noticed that there was one common theme throughout our social media feeds; moms and shoppers alike wondered, how were they going to easily implement these changes into their daily life.
Josie and I felt the same and decided to approach the changes together. Since we eat many of our meals with each other’s family we knew we had to both make the same alterations to our daily diet. After reading through the new Guide, we took a long hard look at our cupboards and fridges and knew changes needed to be made. Our first challenge was school lunches and after-school snacks. Luckily, ease came in the form of Maple Lodge Farms. For starters, they offer the Natural From The Farm deli products which have 25% less sodium versus the leading natural deli brand. This reduction in sodium means less sodium is being fed to our children. In Canada, 72% of kids between the ages of 4-13 consume more sodium than the recommended limit. This can lead to health issues, including high blood pressure. Switching to the Natural From The Farm brand will help reduce this intake; creating healthier kids and adults.
Another main element of The Natural From The Farm Oven Roasted Chicken and Turkey products is that they are made with natural ingredients. Not only is the ingredient list pronounceable, but it is also gluten-free and has no sugar added! We know many of you in the GG Family will find this to be important as you cook confidently, knowing you are feeding your family natural, healthy products without added chemicals.
Speaking of family, we have always been huge fans of Maple Lodge Farms because they are all about FAMILY. If you have been following us this far you know that is exactly what we are all about. Making memories, and always ensuring our kids are HAPPY & HEALTHY. Nothing else matters to us. This is one of the main reasons we love working with Maple Lodge Farms. So to our online family, that’s you guys…. we are sharing the THREE ways we want you to embrace the new Canada Food guide just like we did. Thanks to brands like Maple Lodge Farms we are able to do this very easily!
1) STOCK YOUR FRIDGE: We are making sure our fridges are filled with the Natural From The Farm Deli packs. These are great lunch ideas for school or as an after-school snack. Adults will also love them to curb mid-day munchies or set out as appetizer ideas when guests come over.
2) IN THE KITCHEN: Our kids love making this quick and easy recipe.
Surprise Chicken and Cheese Puffs Recipe
4 slices Natural from The Farm Oven Roasted Cooked Chicken Breast Deli (halved)
1 pkg (8 oz/250 g) refrigerated crescent roll dough
3 tbsp (45 mL) honey
3 tbsp (45 mL) grainy mustard
4 oz (125 g) aged Cheddar cheese, cut into 8 cubes
1 egg, lightly beaten
1. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Separate dough into 8 triangles. Stir together honey and mustard; spread 1 tsp (5 mL) over each triangle.
2. Place cheese cube, and half of a chicken slice and bacon slice on base of each triangle; roll up starting from base. Place 2 inches (5 cm) apart on parchment paper–lined baking sheet. Beat together egg and 1 tbsp (15 mL) water; brush over tops of rolls.
3. Bake for 13 to 15 minutes or until pastry is golden brown. Let cool slightly before serving. Serve with remaining honey mustard.
Tip: Substitute Swiss, Emmental or Brie for aged Cheddar cheese if desired.
3) Relax and enjoy this family meal together and discuss other ways your family can get aligned with the new Canada Food Guide. Our kids love this meal and ask us to make it over and over again.
DISCLAIMER: This post was sponsored by Maple Lodge Farms, however all thoughts and ideas are our own.